Tuesday 26 July 2011

Diaspora/Community Appeal From UNAA President

Community Members,
 
On my recent trip to Uganda I visited a small primary school in Kampala which I would like to introduce to you.
 
Founded in 2001, Citizen Parents Primary School is located within a slum area of Makindye Hill and occupies an area of roughly ½ acre which it rents.  The student body comprises of 542 children from throughout Uganda of whom approximately 25-30% are HIV positive and over half are orphans.  All of the children in the school either come from the local slum community, are orphans with absolutely no where else to go, or are abandoned/run away kids rescued from the streets of major cities such as Kampala, Gulu and Lira.
 
Here are some other basic facts.
 
1.       The only tap with running water in the school was shut off a few months ago because of an outstanding bill that the school was unable to pay.  Consequently, water for the school is brought up from a contaminated stream at the bottom of the hill about a half mile or so away.
2.       More often than not, students eat only muwogo for every meal every day.
3.       Only 4 latrine toilets serve the entire school population which happens to be co-ed.
 
The photographs I took of the school tell the story of the challenges faced by the teachers and students better that I can describe with words. 
 
I would like to introduce you to four students I was privileged to meet at the school.
Viola Nabuuma is 11 years old, an orphan who was rescued from the streets of Kampala and HIV positive.  She is in P5 and has lived permanently at Citizen Parents for the last 5 years.
Sophie Babirye Nakuya is 13 years old, was abandoned at the school at an early age and is currently in P7.  Sophie has terminal AIDS and is not expected to survive through the end of this year.
Ismail Twah and Ismail Musa are both 12 years old and were rescued from the streets of Gulu.  Neither is HIV positive but both live permanently at Citizen Parents.  Both are in P6.
 
As I was departing from the school I emptied my pockets of all the money I had on me (about Ug. Sh. 200,000) with which I was told the school bought enough beans to last a week – a drop in the bucket.
 
I have set as a personal goal, a commitment to help this school in what ever way I can, however small.  I would like to issue a challenge to those of you who can, to join me in helping this school.  The outstanding water bill is only about US $200 and literally any small donation will make a difference in the lives of these children – even for just a day or two.
 
Anyone who wishes to make a monetary contribution is welcome to send it to the UNAA Treasurer and we will make sure it reaches its destination.  I will welcome any other suggestions on how to help this school and its children.
 
Sincerely,
 
Moses Wilson
UNAA President

No comments:

Post a Comment