Thursday 23 June 2011

Baganda need power not money???

“The people of Uganda, are entitled to a democratic government. It is not a favour from any regime.”
Yoweri K. Museveni
Innauguration speech
29th January 1986


Somewhere below I also read:

"As I wrote here recently, the reign of Sir Edward Muteesa II (1939-1969) --the thirty-fifth Kabaka of Buganda --was characterised by protracted struggles to regain Buganda's historical position. Only villains would fancy seeing his son Ronald Muwenda Mutebi end up where Muteesa ended."

This reminds me of the words of Kabaka Mwanga during those years he was being back-stabbed by the "villains".  He said these words to Karl Peters in 1890.  Just to highlight for you who the real "villains" are, here is what Mwanga said, and receive it against the background knowledge of who it is that messed up his Kabakaship:

"I am Mutesa's son, and what Mutesa was in Buganda that I will also be, and against those who will not have it so I shall make war"
 
The rest is history!

So, historical position, or hysterical position?

If you land on a book by a certain Wright, titled "Buganda in a Heroic Age", open pages 14-19.  You will see those words! I salvaged a copy from an Owino binyebwa seller the other day.



Lance Corporal (Rtd) Patrick Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment