Thursday 23 June 2011

Did Museveni just study but didn't graduate at Dar es salama University?

I stand corrected with respect to President Museveni. There was a posting several years ago that suggested that he was a student at this university, as he also seems to indicate in his long statement. I construed from that posting that he was a graduate of this university. I must confess that it took me long time to understand that "I went to the University of Texas" does not mean "I graduated from the University of Texas," for example. But I want to know, did M78 really graduate from Dar salama university or im just wasting time to even ask? Can somebody verify this please b’se there is a lot of rumour going around that he actually never graduated.
Nevertheless, I hope that Mr. President would use his clout to improve the infrastructure at Makerere University to equal and even surpass that of most universities in the Occident. My preceding plea is extended to other African leaders, too.
I also stand corrected with respect to the late President Nyerere who served for 24 years. I personally admired him. I liked his Arusha Declaration and the fact that he placed the interest of Tanzania above his--by resigning and admitting that he had made mistakes. I love his positions on African issues. Much of his political philosophy on Africa is in sync with my "intellectual" orientation and ideology. Be that as it may, I believe in term limit. Eight or ten years is adequate(even when such a leader is incorruptible).

My mea culpa notwithstanding, I believe very strongly that African countries have highly qualified citizens to govern their society and that they should be given the chance to do so. One family or members of the extended family system of an incumbent should not assume that God or Allah has made them leaders of a polity and that other citizens must not and should not apply. On this matter, I would suggest that we agree to disagree.
As to Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore he has been described as "an efficient and relatively benevolent and incorruptible despot...who made a small and resource-poor [country] into an Asian 'tiger'... and he was able to accomplish his objective without civil and political rights," by Jack Donnelly (International Human Rights, p. 163) Yew (90 years old) was interviewed last night on Public Broadcasting Service by Charlie Rose (in the US). He was frank and interesting. His son is (patrimonially)the Prime Minister--an arrangement that could prove to be problematic in the future. In any case, my interest for now is on mother Africa.
Rehema
Kampala,East Africa
When the boot of government is on your neck,it doesn't matter if it's left or right. Today is Buganda, tomorrow is some one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment